Elder Pilot | Retirement, Long-Term Care and Dementia

Retirement, Long-Term Care & Dementia

The Elder Pilot Blog
Share This Page

The Top Questions Ontario Citizens are asking about Long-Term Care

Posted Feb 28th, 2014 in Long-Term Care, Tips

The Top Questions Ontario Citizens are asking about Long-Term Care

Elder Pilot at work... The Long-Term Care checklist primer

If you are waiting for a rainy day to ask about long-term care, look outside, it’s probably already raining... Find umbrella solutions and answers by using our long-term care checklist primer.  

Who qualifies for Long-Term care home admission? 

Ontario Long-Term care homes are designed to provide services to individuals who need assistance to care for themselves, and are subsequently having difficulty living independently.  Sometimes these care needs can addressed through a homecare provider.  Long-Term Care (LTC) homes are able to offer a higher level of personal assistance, and nursing services 24 hours per day.  

What is the CCAC?

The Community Care Access Centre (CCAC) is a non-profit organization that provides health care access at home, and in the community, to Ontario citizens. Some of these services include personal in-home care, social work, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, medical supplies etc..

A CCAC Case Manager provides the assessment needed by an individual to determine if their present condition qualifies them to apply for long-term care.  The CCAC then prepares and coordinates applications to Long-Term care homes when the individual has chosen their preferred locations.  Call your local CCAC to start the process. www.310CCAC.ca

Who else manages the wait list and admission process to LTC?

There is no other agency or mechanism that can provide an application to enter a Long-Term care home in Ontario.

How much will this cost?

The Ministry of Health and Long-term Care (MOHLTC) sets the rates for rooms across Ontario.  The rates are reviewed by the MOHLTC and are announced annually on July 1st.

There is no difference between the basic room rates charged at an older or newer Long-Term care home. 

There are 3 potential rates: basic, semiprivate and private.  The configuration of the rooms (bed placement, privacy, bathroom access) will vary for basic and semiprivate rooms depending on the age and design of the home.   The monthly payment a Resident makes to a LTC home is called the co-payment: because the Ministry provides additional funding to the home to offset costs. www.ontario.ca/rvf

Do I have to sell my house?

Individuals who do not have enough income to manage the monthly rate for a LTC home may be eligible for a rate reduction.  The Resident’s Notice of Assessment from their income tax will be used to determine eligibility.  Your CCAC case manager will be able to provide guidance about room rates and the availability of financial assistance.  If a person qualifies for aid they must agree to shared accommodation in a basic room. (see room configurations)  There is a monthly comfort allowance in circumstances where income is low, to insure there is some accessible money for sundry needs.

The LTC home and the MOHLTC will not ask about the value of your personal residence and you will not be required to sell a family home as payment for long-term care.

How do I choose Homes for my wait list?

The CCAC will provide a list of homes in the geographical area of your search.  It is up to the applicant or their designate to tour and choose their desired homes.  Elder Pilot LTC provides a comprehensive Long-Term Care checklist in electronic or paper form to assist with decision making.

What is Involuntary Separation?

When only one member of a couple requires Long-Term care, this leads to an unintentional physical separation or “Involuntary Separation.”  It does not imply divorce or marital separation.  In the case of Involuntary Separation, the spouse not entering LTC may be struggling financially due to the loss of shared income. The other spouse must have applied for a basic room relating to this issue.  As a result, an adjustment to Old Age Security benefits may be possible but not guaranteed.  It is important to call or pursue the lower link to clarify your situation, or you can speak with your CCAC Case Manager. For more information, call Service Canada at 1-800-277-9914 www.servicecanada.gc.ca

Watch for the next related blog to learn more about Long-Term Care.

Photo Credit: CRAIG GLOVER, The London Free Press

comments powered by Disqus

Now Available: Purchase the essential Long-Term Care (Nursing Home) and Retirement Printable Checklist. Instant Download! Order Online